4/23/09

Another reason I hate people who smoke....

Let me rephrase that...I don't hate the people who smoke (I know and love many people who smoke) I just hate the habit...Let me give your reason number 1:
Yes indeed, there are FOUR firetrucks from the local firestation in front of our house this afternoon as we return from Mason City...

"What were they doing her", you ask?.. Well, someone threw a CIGARETTE BUTT out their car window which started the ditch in front of our house on fire.....

Which spread to the twenty or so corn stalk bales in front of our house....

Which spread to the feeder wagon in the cow yard..

They asked my husband to get in the tractor to break the bales apart so they could put the fire out...
And a school bus full of gaukers on the way home from school...
Just as they got done loading up the hoses and two of the fire trucks had left, it started flaring up again, so they had to get the hoses back out...
I understand that it could have been (and thank God that it wasn't) a lot worse (catching the house or the barns full of goats and cows).. However, we are having wind gusts up to 35 mph today and had the wind been blowing just a little more east, it could have been a disaster...Thanks SOOO much to the Stacyville Fire Dept and to "Smiley" - for calling my mother-in-law (who in turn told her painter, who is a fire-fighter for Stacyville, who called it in) and for shutting the barn doors so it didn't get in to the goats and for trying your hardest to beat the fire out with a shovel!!!

2 comments:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Hi! Thanks for stoppin by my blog!

I recently got the Nikon d90! AND LOVE IT!!! it is amazing!

I got it from B&H online, with the 18-200 mm kit lens! love it!

my second lens is the Sigma 50mm 1.4 and I am in love with that too!

all the boating pics were taken with the zoom.

way fun!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I use the sports mode a lot. It seems the best at freezin stuff! I am SLOWLY learning about shutter speeds and aperature. But I am SUCH a slow learner. really slow. So I play with settings when I can, but mostly stay in the preset modes. I need to figure out the focus points on my D90. There are so many options! it is a good thing and a bad thing! *smile*

Do you like the filter that I used on the last picture of Brooke, Dylan & Chelsea?